Pages

Email

Feel free to email us at AtoZappa@gmail.com

Friday, January 3, 2014

"Bloodsucking Whore" by Ezra Furman & The Harpoons

Ezra Furman - "Bloodsucking Whore"

(Unfortunately I couldn't find a YouTube video for the studio version, so please click the link above)

Ezra Furman is the best artist you have never heard of. A cross between Springsteen/Dylan/70's Punk, Ezra brings his own blend of rock and roll and witty lyrics to the underground rock scene. "Bloodsucking Whore" comes from the last album he made with his previous band, The Harpoons, entitled Mysterious Power. The song centers around a very simple bass drum and Ezra's fantastic lyrics. BSW is about a lover trying to do everything in their power to win over another lover. Ezra has since gone through a line-up change with his new band, the Boyfriends, but his music and lyrics have stayed true.

- Josh

Ezra Furman: rock 'n' roll's best kept secret.  Seriously, this guy should be one of the biggest rock stars alive but sadly he's been flying under the radar during his entire brilliant 5-album career.  "Bloodsucking Whore" is one of my favorite songs of his.  The beat has a '50s doo-wop feel to it, the vocals also have a '50s feel, and the guitar solo is filled with beautiful rage.  And then we have the lyrics.  Wow.  As much as I love Ezra for his sublime songwriting skills and unique vocal approach, it's his poetic lyrics that put him over the top for me.  When Ezra belts out "Girl you drive me wild/Let's have sex/but let's not make a child", I can't help but smile every time I hear it.  I can't help but smile every time I hear Ezra Furman.

- Steven

A few things I'd just like to highlight that weren't brought up by my two esteemed colleagues:

- Ezra's angst in this song is so palpable it's frightening. He sighs at the start and grunts his way through the ending.
- His, let's say, less than great voice fits this song so perfectly. It's so fucking raw, while still being a well constructed pop song.
- The guitar line after the "Bloodsucking Whore" verse is so fucking perfect.
- It's a great rising action song. I LOVE how the drummer slightly changes up his beat at the 2:10 mark to increase tension. The last minute of the song is epic.

- Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment